Sunday 16 December 2012

Year end Top 10s - Video Games -

well, the year is coming to a close.... and i think some things are very clear...

I have really strange taste.... i can go from liking one thing to liking something else that is completely 100% different....

since this is the end of the year.... i may as well do some quick top 10s to show how much my taste jumps around AND to compare to next year.

these list will not be limited to the past year (unless i wanna limit myself like that....) it will just be 'my top 10 fav things right now'

okay....

lets start with video games.... cause.... why not. now this is personal... completely my taste and if you disagree... thats fine.... a guarantee that you are going to disagree with me.... i'm odd.... just remember that.

10. Star fox 64
 I have a personal History with this game, one christmas day when i was 7 or 8 i woke up before the rest of my family (like all kids do on that day) however we had a rule that until 7 am there wouls be no opening of presents... it was around 6:40 so i went to the family room to watch some morning cartoons before i would go wake my parents....

i go to turn on the TV and next thing i know i'm being yelled at by my dad. "GET OUT OF THE FAMILY ROOM"

I freak out and run back upstairs and get scolded that there is no tv allowed on christmas morning...
was really stupid at that age so i bought that line.

so as we are opening presents i open one and it's star fox...
funny we don't own any gaming systems....
my dad swears and then hands me the big box... and it's an n64....
So i blink and it eventually registers that thats why i got yelled at.... the n64 was set up downstairs and my dad was worried i saw the present before having opened the box.

i would find out later that he set it up so he could play goldeneye.... cause my dad can't wait....

So i had star fox, golden eye and diddy kong racing.
Well i sucked at first person shooters even then and diddy kong was fun but whatever.... starfox though i loved... i loved that i could take different paths i loved how the story would change (or at least the characters you meet) depending on where you go.... i loved the music.... it was just such a fun game....
also no matter what you pretty much couldn't lose.... even some missions if you fail it pushes you forward.... that was great for me cause i am bad at video games....
I beat this game over 70 times as a kid.... and a few of those times on hard mode.... i felt proud... so to this day i still get nostalgic with this game.

9. Avalon code
This game was bought on a whim, i went into an EB games i live near and saw it on the top shelf.... the art style looked adorable and it was only 10 bucks....

one of the most creative and fun games i ever played.... the only reason it's so far down the list is because it's kinda buggy.... i had a few times were i got caught in an endless loop of clipping through the floor and dying.

however the game was still so fun and i adore the style, one of my best random purchases ever... though i haven't always bee nthat lucky (here's lookign at you A Witch's Tale and Hoshigami Remix and L'Ark Rise Fantasia)

8. Fire emblem
I heard about this game the same way pretty much everyone in north america did.... Super smash bros Melee, i loved the character design and then when the north american trailer i was so excited to play it.
I was not disappointed at all....
i was one of those people who reset any time a character died but still... that never made me hate the game.... i reset because i loved all the characters.... i couldn't stand the idea of one of the characters dying.... i had to know how they would continue to grow...

however..... the final level was really hard
i spend hours trying to beat it but someone always died and i would reset and try again..........
until my final attempt, i was one hit from beating the level and my absolute favorite character Sain died.
and... and i just couldn't do it.... i couln't restart.... i has come to far...

not the first time a game has made me cry but reading Sain "died at final level" was heart breaking to me : (
so yeah... one of my fav games.... 

7. Pokemon Crystal
Not the first pokemon game i owned (that would be yellow... i was a little late to the party apparently) but it was definitely my fav.... why?
 Because you can play as a girl.... and being that i am a girl... and finding a girl character to play as in that day and age was damn near impossible was really cool to me.
I also loved Suicune and Celebi and the former was the focus of the game so yeah.... i loved it.
to date i have owned almost all the colours cause my parents would get me one and my grandparents would get me the other....
but this and Silver are my favs.... i love the new ones (though i've barely touched white two... mainly cause of time restrictions) but crystal just was way too much fun.

so yeah... i've had red, yellow, gold, silver, crystal, ruby, sapphire, black, soul silver, white 2, pinball, trading card game (yeah they made a gameboy game based off it) conquest (which i still need to beat) and some of the stadiums......
i like pokemon..... they are adorable....

6. Ace Attorney
I was WAY late to the party on this one.... i played the first one after the three were all out.... i found it at a con for a cheap price and fell in love with it.... it's a shame it's not really possible to replay without remembering everything but it's the game i lend out the most just so people can share the joy. 

5. Chrono Trigger
I didn't even play this game till they ported it to the DS, I did have a SNES growing up but it was at my granparent vacation trailer thingy and i went there maybe 3 times a year for a single weekend so if i played any snes games it would have been super Mario World or Alladin....
the SNES is now hooked up to my tv but i still have no time to play it : (
but yeah i loved this game.... i got all the endings.... first i got the blade that crits liek 70 or 90% of the time.... game broken from that point on... still the ending that you need to beat sans Crono were tricky.... still... great game, great music, great story.... just so good.... 

4. Disgaea
i'm noticign as i get further down the list the stories get shorter.... hm....
Anyways I have two stories with this... one time my friend invited me to play D&D, it sounded fun so i went.... i was 13 or 14 at the time.... they were all a year or two older then me and guys so i was a bit shy but i noticed one of them had a game in there bag. He told me he had searched everywhere for it and it was hard to find cause it was out of print.... it looked really good but i forgot about it.
then one day i went to the EB i live near and it was there..... but i didn't have enough money for it.... so i ran home, ran back.... and someone had bought it....

Fast forward a year or two.... i see it again, this time i had money and i buy it right away....
wow this game is pure fun times.... the humor the game play the character design.... and multiple endings.... (hey.... i'm noticing a trend here!) i just loved it.

to tell the truth.... i think normal end is better then good end..... he journey laharl goes through at the end actually made me cry (like i said... i cry a lot... very easily) and the good end was just missing that extra heart..... plus seeing a certain character in a pool of his own blood was very much to my liking.... after doing 'that' to my best healer you better be ready to pay....

also ninja's are so broken in this game.... they dodge everything.... including healing spells.... but when i was getting the best ending i did it with a ninja and Laharl.... that was it...

3. Persona 
 I wanted to say only person 3..... but i really like 4 as well.... i've just beaten 3 so i guess i'm partial to it? also i spoiled person 4 for myself before i even strated playing cause i looked at the artbook i got with the preorder before actually playing the game.... big mistake...

anyways when I first picked up persona 3 i looked at the back "70 hours of gameplay" at that age i kinda prided myself for being able to beat games without missing much in about under half the itme on the back............. 75 hours later i beat persona 3.... and 2 hours of that was the final boss cause i was barely a high enough level

another thing that happened was one i was in the tower and i got called off to dinner....i figured i was in a safe area so i didn';t need to pause....
i come back after dinner and i'm in the middle of a fight..... with DEATH....
I, being bad at games and easy to scare, freaked the fuck out..... ran the fuck away then had death chase me with his rattling chains.... to this day when i hear chains rattling (something surprisingly common at my work) i get chills and whimpers....

2. Tales of Phantasia
My first Tales of game AND the first game i ever truly 100%, i got all the items, maxed the levels and went to every secret spot.... it was SO much fun.
i've played Symphonia 1&2, destiny, Abyss (probably second fav) and currently i'm working through vesperia but still... this is my fav.... probably cause it was the first.....  who knows....

1. Ys
 Anyone who knows me at all is not surprised that this is number one.... i should clarify that i mean the Ys Series..... not nessicaril Ys 1 and 2..... however.... despite how screwy the continuity is i played this game mostly in order.
i played the DS Versions of 1 & 2 and thats apparently the broken versions.... which doesn't surprise me at all.... but hey i beat it so i guess i'm happy....
then i play Oath in Felghana on PSP which is the third game..... love love love love love love LOVE this one... just.... listen to the intro....
I'ts just so pretty.... then i played Seven, which has the song Innocent Primeval breaker.... which just gets me so excited to do anything.... one of the best songs in the entire franchises....
then i played origin which is a prequil to 1 that takes place 700 years in the past and other then the underwater section AND needing to play the game 3 times to get all the storyit's a really dame good game.... then i played 3 on steam.... cause i wanted to support xseed.... and now i wait for Celceta.... my friend imported it and i COULD play it but after playign Nayuta no Kiseki i have realized that i actually really enjoy Falcom games for their story AS WELL as their music.... guess i lied i nthat one game where i said otherwise.... if the game were fully voice acted i wouldn't have any issue but reading japanese is too hard for my current skill level... but i'm learning...

so yeah.... right now i'd say those are my top 10....
"BUT RAI" i hear some of you cry out to your monitor "you like RPGs but your list is missing Final fantasy and Zelda...."

well thats simple...
I like final fantasy, the music is good but.... i didn't play it as a kid so i dont have that nostalgia factor AND every time i beat one the game crashes one me.... my bad luck yes but i was never sad when it happened..... plus sephiroth has a move called supernova.... and considering i have panic attacks when space is involved..... i can't beat that boss.... so i liek final fantasy but honestly.... not as much as any of the games i listed about....

as for no zelda..... remember that part when i said i was bad at games? yeah Zelda is pretty much the game i am the worst at.... i tend to beat on dungeon then just give up cause i suck so damn much.... therefor i could never really like the game casue i could never beat it.... so again... not the games fault... completely 100% my fault... but all the games listed above are ones i have beaten.

and don't ask how i can play Ys on hard or nightmare but Zelda is somehow hard.... i don't know.... i'm good at one.... not the other...

so i think thats it.... i better get back to making some art~

No comments:

Post a Comment