Friday 15 December 2017

Recovery of an MMO Junkie

I'll be honest.
After the utter disappointment "GAMERS!!" was after episode 6 I almost didn't want to give this show a chance.
However all that changed about 2 seconds into the intro song.
I knew immediately that not only would i love this show... it would be one of my favs of the season and probably in my top 5 of the year.

We follow Morioka Moriko, a woman in her late 30s who recently left her job so she could become a NEET (or as she puts it... Elite NEET).
The previous MMO she played however shut down so she looks for something new to fill the void.
Wanting a change from real life she chooses a male avatar and works hard to get the hang of this new game "Fruit du Mer".
She's utterly terrible until she bumps into a healer named Lily.
Together they go on adventures and over the course of the show we see hoe much the online world and real world are connected.

This show is sweet, sincere and overall just a joy to watch. The smaller cast allows for some interesting meet ups and I cannot even begin to describe how nice it is to see older gamers not portrayed as awful lazy slobs.

It's funny, it has just the perfect amount of MMO referencing and my only complaint is that as of right now it's only 10 episodes + 1 OVA.
Considering how popular the show has become though... I wouldn't be surprised if we got another season down the road... because even though the story has a wonderful finish there is always more to tell.

I do think people who have never touched an MMO would still get a kick out of a series like this since overall the show focuses more on the real life then the game and i think in the end thats why this succeeds where GAMERS!! utterly failed.

I hope the manga also gets licensed eventually because I would love to read it.

Also I was watching quite a bit this season so these may end up being a little rapid fire..... man this years top 10 is going to be hard (other then number 1 which i already know and if you know me.... well you know my number 1 as well...)

No comments:

Post a Comment