Monday 1 January 2018

Year end top 10 - Video games 2017

This year was a bit odd for me and gaming, I beat pretty much every game I bought but I didn't even beat 10 games....
Could it be because the games i did beat were on the longer side? possibly.
Is it because i didn't even touch my backlog? yeah most likely.
oh and those 3 weeks in Japan might have cut into gaming time but I think I made the right choice

So here is you year end top 8!


8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)

I mean.... I tired every map and saw the end credits so.... that means finished in 2017 right?
The reason why it's last on the list is simple. It's a fun game but it's most fun with friend which I haven't gotten to try yet.
I love the feel and music and the game is really pretty but still it's just another kart racer. It's really fun but the other titles meant more to me this year.

7. Full Throttle Remastered (PC)

One of my earliest memories gaming involves this game. I loved it as a kid until my bro accidentally broke the CD. When I heard this game was getting a remaster I was so happy that I'd get to enjoy one of my first Point and Click games.
And it's still really good, I loved every moment of it and i was amazed how much i remember considering that the last time I played it would have been almost 20 years ago.
Should it be higher on the list because of the personal connection i have to the game? maybe but i think this is where it belongs because in the end... this isn't actually my first time finishing it.

6. Zwei 2: The Ilvard Insurrection (PC)

A Falcom game.... on one of my lists?
Well yeah actually like... 4 of them...
Anways Zwei 2 is a cute game about Ragna and Alwen, the combat (while a little simple) is pretty fun and the music is fantastic. it's not terribly long but it's full of style and personality.
I think the only reason it didn't resonate with me more is the fact that the combat is REALLY simple... it gets more complex over time but both characters get their most useful moves very easily on (granted I loved using Ragna's weapon as a glider)
I am looking forward to playing Zwei 1 and seeing how the game works with it's completely based on sprites and i would love to see Zwei 3 someday down the line.... this cute series really does deserve more love.

5. Tokyo Xanadu (PSVita)

I want to put this version of the game higher I really do.
But after playing the ps4 version I can't.
There are so many typos and bugs and things that don't unlock the thing they say they will. the worst part is that there isn't even any sound after you beat true end.
And i was fine with that.... but then i played the ps4 version and they have fixed (or tweaked) everything.... the vita version (as far as i can tell) has never been patched. They didn't care and that annoys me.
It's bad enough where had i beat the ps4 version before the end of the year i would have counted them as separate games. Between the fixes and the added content/mechanics they are not even remotely the same game anymore.
Still the game is really fun, i love the story and the music is great (even if it feels a bit more persona-y or tales-y at times)
Also because i will most likely beat Tokyo Xanadu ex+ next year... yes i will still consider it it's own game and it'll probably get a spot on the top ten.... so look forward to that i guess?


4. Danganronpa V3 (PS4)

This game is brilliant, a perfect way to end the series and a great commentary. While i didn't connect with all of the cast as much as i have in the past it was a fun romp with probably the best conclusion ever. All I can really say without giving anything away is Fuck Danganronpa.


3. Persona 5 (PS4)

I know this is pretty much everyone's GotY. I love the game, the style is fantastic. the characters are lovable and the dungeon design is the best the series has ever been.
But it can't be my number 1 game simply because in the end I was left feeling it isn't finished.
The ending is rushed, there is a massive thread left hanging that really should have been resolved... it feels like they left these open for a later version of the game with new content. (they did it for both p3 and p4 but at least those games felt complete)
Still everything else was great and maybe in a year that doesn't have a Kiseki game and an Ys game it would be number 1.
but not this year.

And now for the hard part.
I have been staring at this for days.
And i don't know what I want to pick.
One if objectively a better game, better game play, it's the first time I've ever wanted to complete a game 100% including a nightmare run.
The other one has a story that resonates so much with me and some of my all time fav characters... not to mention the fact that i literally cried on stream when i saw the tweet announcing it.
It's a battle between my head and my heart... and I think I know which will win.

2. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4)

Again... Ys VIII is a great game. The combat is so much fun, the characters are wonderful... the music is some of the best in the series and the fact that you can see all the places you are going to go makes the island feel alive.
I love Dana's story (i can't imagine playing the vita version which must cut out.... most of this since she doesn't have changing forms or that final dungeon), I love the challenge which never felt unfair. Any other year this would be my unquestioned number 1, it's my fav of the entire Ys series.
Yes the translation is (as of right now) pretty bad.... but they are working to fix it so I'll give them a pass on that for now.
Still i love this game and once the translation is fixed i will be doing a nightmare run/trophy cleanup
However... there was one other game that in the end just means more to me.

1. Trails in the Sky The 3rd (PC)

I'm a little surprised that after everything this is my number one.
It's an old game, the combat isn't nearly as fun as later games in the series get but in the end I don't care.
Kevin is my fav character in this series, having a taste of his story in second chapter had me hooked and The 3rd gave me everything i wanted and more (as well as making me sob multiple times).
I've never had a game where after completing a side quest (or the closest thing to a side quest in this case) made me get up and walk away from the game so i could get through all the emotions.
I feel such an attachment to each of these characters and even though i fully acknowledge that both Cold steel and Ys VIII are better games... in the end i enjoyed this one more.
It means more to me then any other title in the series so far.
I desperately want to go back and replay even though i did pretty much everything.
In the end I ultimately knew this would be my number 1, honestly now that I'm finished writing this... i wouldn't have it any other way.

What are your top ten games you beat this year? what are some games you hope to beat in 2018?

No comments:

Post a Comment